Tuesday, September 22, 2015

DIY Fabric Fishing Toy

Hello my fellow Mommies out there, today I wanna share with you the fabric fishing toy that I made few weeks ago for my little Jashley.

I found some leftover fabrics and other materials from my previous DIYs. Basically you need the following:

- fabric (I use felt fabric)
- fish shape template (I just draw a fish shape on a piece of cardboard and cut it out.)
- thread
- needle
- pins
- scissor
- brads
- magnet
- wooden stick/dowel (not included in the photo)
- yarn (length is depends on your prefered length)
- cushion stuffing (not included in the photo, I just got some from an old pillow)

Instruction for the fabric fish:

1. Since you will be needing 2 pieces of these fish cut outs to make 1 fabric fish, you may cut both side simultaneously by laying 2 layers of fabric together and pinning the pattern to the top.  

2. Poke the fabric fish cut out using  a needle so you can easily insert a brad on that small hole (I place mine on where the fish eyes should be,)
 
3. Turn over your fabric fish cut out and secure the brad by separating their tiny arms and bending them in different directions. Do this on both fabric cut outs. To make them more secure I adhere the 2 brads on their back using a double sided tape. You may use hot glue if you want.

4. Lay the cut outs side by side together and sew them all the way around. Leave a 2" open space.


5. Stuff fish with the fabric stuffings. Keep it light so that the brads and magnet are sure to hold while fishing.

6. Sew the 2" opening together.

Instruction for the fishing rod:

1. I used a wooden chopstick since thats the only one I can find at home. Stick them together on their tips using a masking tape to make them long.

2. Tie the one end of the yarn on your wooden stick and the magnet on the other end of the yarn.

Tadaa!! Finish product.

When I let my little fisherman go fishing I noticed she's having a hard time stick the magnet to the brads, as the yarn is quite too long for her height, she have to raise her arms. So I decided to shorten the yarn. Eventually I have also shortened the wooden stick by just unsticking them. In that way it is a lot easier for her catch the fishes. 

  


 Happy fishing!!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment